Friday, July 18, 2014

Volunteer Visit Recap

July 17, 2014

Just finished my second language proficiency interview and it did not go horrible. Thirty minutes of a one-on-one interview with a Spanish teacher you’ve never meet sounded very daunting, my only goal was to not burst into tears at any point during the interview. Accomplished. I’m sure my grammar sucks but I could understand everything the teacher said and was able to answer all of her questions and that’s something.

Last week (we returned to our training site on Sunday) we visited a current volunteer and spent a week at her site. This is volunteer that went to Virginia Tech and we were actually in the same organization, I had no idea she was even in the Peace Corps let alone Panama, it was quite the surprise especially since matching up the trainees with the volunteers for the visit week is pretty random.

The community is very small, only about 100 people.
There is one road but no one owns a car, some people have horses.
It took a two hours bus ride followed by an hour chiva ride followed by a (beautiful!) 30 minute hike to reach her site from Panama City.
The community is in a valley surrounded by rolling hills and mountains. A lot of the mountains are deforested but still breathe taking to look at.
The climate was much cooler, it was glorious.

Activities:
Collected cow poop to make compost.
Pasear-ed and ate a lot of good food and drank a lot of coffee.
Local farmer showed us how to prune orange and coffee trees.
Ate a lot of rice and beans.
Was introduced to the deliciousness that is dessert oatmeal.
Washed clothes campo style.
Hiked for two hours in the jungle and saw an enormous boulder.
Cut my volunteer’s hair.
Realized my stomach might get fat from all this rice, but my legs are gonna be rockin by the end of my service from walking up all these hills.   

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment