Friday, July 18, 2014

Week Three


Rashes, bites, and antibiotics
 

June 30, 2014

Multiple skin ailments; check.
Can never stop sweating; check.
Take 2-3 showers a day; check.


Things I ask myself on a daily basis:
How do people live in this weather?
Why humidity? Why!?
How awesome is it that I get my very own machete? (it’s pretty awesome…)
How long can I go without busting my butt on one of these muddy hills?
Do I really have to put clothes on?
When will I be able to communicate in Spanish?!


In other news; I successfully hand-washed my undergarments today, my “quick dry” towel is already molding, and I now have my morning four hour Spanish class all to myself. Let the one-on-one tutoring begin. 


Inauguration

 

July 1, 2014

The new president of Panama was inaugurated today. Everyone (almost everyone) didn’t have to go to work today. No, I did not get a day off. I am in PC training and had five hours of one-on-one Spanish tutoring as well as three hours of compost making.

My brain hurts.

I love the hands-on training

I do not like the absurd about of unwanted attention I get whenever walking on the street. Car honks, cat calls, etc., it’s getting old. Fast.


Planting

 

July 2, 2014

Three (different) bugs flew up my nose today.

We got to plant beans, yucca, otoe, and plantains today in our individual parcels. Yesterday we started the process of making compost. We also learned about seeds; how to harvest, possibly ferment (depending on the seed), dry, and properly store them. Farmers here are commonly unaware that they can harvest a small amount of seeds of their crop to plant next year instead of buying new seeds every year.


Itchy

 

July 3, 2014

I am putting hydrocortisone cream on like lotion. My poor legs. Looks like I’ll be looking for more light weight long pants since I only brought one pair. Yes I know, but I brought a bunch of capri pants. Yeahhhh, those have worked out well…..

Getting ready to hike to the waterfall a few days ago and my host mom told me to wear boots and long pants. I wore boots and the capri pants I already had on. Well guess where all the poison ivy is… yeash it itches a lot.


No fireworks

 

July 4, 2014

Independence Day de America!

Learning a second language is flippin hard. (I learned today that all of our reports due during service (which is a lot) have to be written in Spanish…………)

The avocados here are AMAZING! (yes that should be read with a singing voice; AAAA-MAAAA-ZZIINNGGGGG)


Adventure in La Chorrera

 

July 5, 2014

Another long day adventuring in a different city. I’m pretty sure I avoided getting burnt. I got to watch the entire Costa Rica game; I’m a little bummed they didn’t win. I also got to buy rubber boots for the finca, I’m ready for mud.


Sunday

 

July 6, 2014

Study study study. Pasear. Español Español Español.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment